Men adhere to minimalism in skin care for natural reasons: their dermis is thicker and denser, contains more sebaceous and sweat glands, the secret of which creates a hydrolipid mantle, due to which the skin becomes more resistant to external irritants. “Due to the nature of the skin in the summer, men can ignore any home care. For example, apply only aftershave lotion containing alcohol, which activates the production of sebum,”notes Elena Zhuravleva, cosmetologist at the Le Colon Institute of Cosmetology, expert at Biologique Recherche.
1 of 9 Shaving Foam Mr. Coppola © Press Office Beard Oil Le Labo © Press Office Anti-Irritation Shaving Gel, Nuxe Men © Press Office After Shave Cream Mr. Coppola © Press Office Intensive Moisturizing Balm for the face Baume Super Hydratant, Clarins © press service Redken beard oil © press service Le Labo cooling and soothing balm © press service Truefitt & Hill mustache wax © press service Mammoth Shaving Clay Mask, Natura Siberica © press service
“We, cosmetologists, always speak from the“rule of three”, which must be observed in the summer: cleansing, moisturizing, protection. Nutrition for the skin in summer is not so important, but it is important not to skip the three listed steps,”says Ekaterina Lazakovich, leading expert of the SkinCeuticals brand.
The daily care ration includes cleansing, hydration, protection and applies to all skin types, regardless of age. “At different ages, the skin has its own characteristics, based on which we select certain care,” says Altana Bazyleva, cosmetologist-dermatologist and medical expert at Vichy. “It is a big misconception that young skin does not need any care at all: the sooner we start taking care of it, the slower it will fade.”
1 of 10 Bamboo Mattifying Lotion for Shrinking Pores, Erborian © Press Office Antioxidant Gel for Dry and Normal Skin Phloretin CF GEL, SkinCeuticals © Press Office Correcting Cream for Reducing Pore Visibility and Smoothing Skin Relief Sébium, Bioderma © Press Office Highly effective cleanser for controlling oily skin Oil Control Moisturizer, Balancing Power, Mineral, L. Raphael © press office Gel Desincrustant Charbon, Payot © press office Black charcoal and juniper purifying mask, l ' Occitane © press service Revitalizing energy cocktail for men's skin Mencode Total Revitalizer, Egia © press service Men's serum syringe for deep wrinkles, Orogold Cosmetics © press service Two-component "Detox" complex of masks for men,Double Dare © press service
According to Alexander Prokofiev, dermatovenerologist and medical expert of the La Roche-Posay brand, traditionally skin care is selected based on its type, however, with the change of the season, its condition may change, so it is necessary to adjust the care. The most common mistake is neglecting UV protection or incorrectly applying sunscreen.
“Some people retain the stereotype that it is only necessary to protect the skin from the sun at sea, but in the city it is not necessary,” the expert notes. “Ultraviolet light affects us all year round and in urban conditions too, and in summer the sun's activity increases. Its harmful effects accumulate throughout life and with age manifests itself in the form of photoaging and the appearance of unwanted pigmentation, and the risk of skin cancer also increases. If you want to keep your skin youthful, use sunscreen regularly."
1 of 6 Protective face cream with oligoelements and SPF-30, Anne Sémonin © press service Sunscreen invisible fluid for the face and skin around the eyes SPF 50+, La Roche Posay © press service Protective fluid screen for men UV PLUS Anti- Pollution SPF 50, Clarins © Press Office Sun Tan Maximizer Gel, Lancaster © Press Office Beautifying Suncare Oil SPF 30, Caudalie © Press Office Bronzing Gel, Tom Ford © Press -service
How to care for your skin. Expert advice
- “From the point of view of the care itself, mistakes in men and women are usually the same: neglect of SPF protection, insufficient hydration and improper cleansing. Choose products that suit you in terms of properties and are pleasant in texture”(Diane Blancourt, Erborian expert).
- “Do not forget that sunscreens must be applied 15–20 minutes before going outside, so that they have time to be absorbed and dry, and it is also necessary to renew the sunscreen every two hours and after each bath.” (Alexander Prokofiev, dermatovenerologist and medical expert of the brand La Roche-Posay).
- “Fighting shine with alcohol-based lotions is also a common mistake. Alcohol dries the skin very much, therefore, in order to restore balance, the sebaceous glands begin to produce sebum more actively and the shine only intensifies. Focus on moisturizing, and if shine develops, use matting sprays or wipes”(Alexander Prokofiev, dermatovenerologist and medical expert of La Roche-Posay brand).
- “Look for products that increase the skin's ability to retain moisture. This effect is possible due to hyaluronic acid and other moisturizing agents. If the skin reacts to heat with increased sebum secretion, then matting gels and creams should help”(Marianna Nikitina, L'Occitane brand expert).
1 of 7 Eau de Rhubarbe Ecarlate Moisturizing Balm, Hermès © Press Office Aquapower Moisturizing Facial Cream Gel, Biotherm © Press Office Hydraskin Light Moisturizing Gel Cream, Darphin © Press Office Moisturizing Repair Cream, Shiseido Men © press service Cellular Water Moisturizing Gel, Institut Esthederm © press service Hydra-Sculpt moisturizing cream-gel, contouring the face, Clarins © press service Comfort + Moisturizing face cream, The Gray © press service
“It is important for men under 30 to cleanse the skin (depending on its condition) with milk and tonic. It can be moisturizing or acidic if the skin is prone to breakouts, - explains Elena Zhuravleva, cosmetologist at the Le Colon Institute of Cosmetology, an expert at Biologique Recherche. - For men over 30 years old, it is important to add face and eye cream to cleansers. I recommend applying it in the evening, and during the day use a cleanser and treat your face with lotion or toner. When choosing masks, you should pay attention to moisturizers. In case of oily skin and acne, use a purifying and anti-inflammatory mask."
1 of 3 Men Eye Cream, Nuxe Men © Press Office Dior Homme Dermo System, Dior © Press Office Super Energizer Anti-Fatigue Eye Gel, Clinique © Press Office
It is important not to forget about the area around the eyes. “The skin of this zone is the thinnest, and in summer we often screw up our eyes in the bright sun,” says Alexander Prokofiev, dermatovenerologist and medical expert of La Roche-Posay. - Be sure to wear sunglasses to avoid squinting your eyes, and regularly moisturize the skin in this area and protect it from UV exposure. Otherwise, by the end of the summer season, you can earn wrinkles - crow's feet."
1 of 13 Energy shampoo Man, System Professional © press service Universal shampoo Mr. Coppola © press service Revitalizing shampoo with menthol Invigo Refresh Wash, Wella Professionals © press service Man hair and beard balm, System Professional © press service Refreshing Hair Toner, Seb Man © Press Office 2 in 1 Shower Gel and Shampoo Energizing Shower Gel, Biotherm © Press Office Male Cleansing and Toning Gel for Body and Hair, Kiehl's © Press Office Deep Cleansing Shower Gel with a detox effect, Anne Sémonin © press service Aquatic cedrate shower gel, L'Occitane © press service Toning shampoo-gel for hair and body Shampooing Douche, Clarins © press service Extra strong antiperspirant antiperspirant,Vichy Homme © press service Men's roll-on deodorant for 24 hours Men Deodorant 24Hr Protection, Nuxe Men © press service Men's soap for body and hair "Siberian Bath", Natura Siberica © press service
“Men often make one mistake in body care: they use a body sponge every time they shower,” notes Elena Zhuravleva, cosmetologist at the Le Colon Institute of Cosmetology, an expert at Biologique Recherche. "It is enough to use it once a day, for example in the evening." Regardless of gender, age and season, wash your hair as it gets dirty. Men, unlike women, usually wash their hair every day, as short hair dries quickly and styling takes very little time.
When washing your hair every day, it is very important to choose the right shampoo. “If the skin is dry, irritated with redness, then shampoos with panthenol are needed,” comments Mikhail Loginov, technologist at System Professional. “For oily scalp, choose shampoos with zinc pyrithione.”
In summer, shampoos and gels with a cooling effect are great, but only if the skin is not irritated. “Menthol belongs to organic substances extracted from plants,” says Mikhail Loginov. - It improves blood circulation to the scalp, promotes its better cleansing of sebum, helping the hair stay clean longer. Since menthol normalizes the activity of the sebaceous glands, it may not be suitable for people with dry, sensitive scalp. " In this case, the specialist advises using products containing panthenol and betaine, which moisturize and soothe the skin.
Top 3 misconceptions about hair and scalp care
(compiled by expert Mikhail Loginov, technologist of System Professional)
- Говорят, нет разницы между гелем для душа, мылом и шампунем. Однако средства отличаются по составу. Да, в своей основе гель для душа и шампунь могут иметь одинаковые моющие компоненты. Но в шампуне содержится гораздо больше дополнительных ингредиентов, способствующих благоприятному воздействию на кожу головы. Нужно учитывать тот факт, что кожа головы имеет то же самое строение, что и, например, кожа лица. Однако она - самая волосистая часть нашего тела, учитывая количество волос на 1 кв. см. То есть состав средств, наносимых на кожу лица, тела или головы, должен быть разным. Многофункциональные средства подойдут для путешествий и командировок, когда сложно воссоздать полноценный уход.
- Men's hair and scalp care consists only in shampooing - this is also wrong. Men's skin can be dry, sensitive, greasy, etc. Therefore, in addition to shampoo, based on needs, you need to use other products: from soothing lotions to nourishing balms.
- Hair loss occurs in both men and women, but they perceive this fact differently. This is a natural process that cannot be stopped. Often times, men let things take their course and refuse to believe that hair loss can be prevented. Today, there are products that stimulate blood circulation and help prevent hair loss. When the hair begins to fall out, this must be approached in a comprehensive manner, namely: apply medications (inside) and improve blood circulation and microcirculation (outside), so that trace elements that enter the body rush to the hair follicles.
#instructions on how to choose the right sunscreen.>