- What is the keto diet
- Types of the keto diet
- What is not allowed
- What can
- 7 days menu
- The keto diet and weight loss
- The harm of the keto diet
- Who suits
- Doctor's review of the keto diet
The material was checked and commented on by Evgeniya Mayevskaya, Ph. D., gastroenterologist, nutritionist at the GMS Сlinic clinic.
What is the keto diet
The ketogenic diet is a diet low in carbohydrates and high in fat. Such a diet can help lower blood sugar levels, increase insulin sensitivity, improve well-being and lose weight by altering metabolism .
A change in diet induces a state of ketosis, a metabolic regime in which the body gets fuel from animal food . Ketone bodies become the main source of energy: acetone, acetoacetate and beta-hydroxybutyric acid. These are substances that are formed in the liver from the body's fatty tissues and consumed fats. Ketone bodies nourish internal organs, muscle tissue and brain instead of glucose , .
The process of ketosis can be triggered by fasting, but the keto diet allows you to enter this state and adhere to it constantly without risk to health.
The keto diet focuses on burning fat instead of carbs © Ursula Spaulding / Unsplash
Signs of ketosis:
- acetone or fruity odor from the mouth;
- an increase in the level of ketone bodies in the blood, urine and respiration;
- decreased appetite and hunger;
- loss of strength, which after a few days can be replaced by normal health and increased brain activity;
- disruption of the gastrointestinal tract, thirst and frequent urination;
- weight loss;
Ketosis is a natural metabolic state of the body, in which fats and adipose tissues of the body become the main source of energy instead of glucose .
Types of the keto diet:
- standard: 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbohydrates from the total calorie intake;
- Cyclic: five days on keto alternates with two days on high-carb foods;
- target: suitable for those who go in for sports;
- with a high protein content: differs from the standard version in the ratio of elements (60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carbohydrates).
Most studies and expert articles are devoted to standard and high protein regimens . Cycling and targeting options are less studied and recommended for athletes and bodybuilders.
The keto diet is a diet high in fat and low in carbohydrates. The body gets its energy from animal food instead of glucose. Such a diet can help lower blood sugar and insulin levels and help you lose weight.