The Crown series, which has won the Screen Actors Guild Awards, Golden Globes and Emmy Awards, has the potential to win many more awards. The reason for this is the appearance in the fourth season of a new main character, and even what: "People's Princess", "Queen of Human Hearts", "Sun of Britain" Diana Spencer. Judging by the footage from the filming, which managed to complete before the quarantine was introduced in March, the series covers the period of Lady Diana's life from 1978, when she worked in a kindergarten in London, until 1989, when she visited New York alone (the creators of the series skillfully disguised as Manchester). This can be traced, among other things, thanks to the outfits that were created with reverence by the fashion connoisseur of the middle of the last century, costume designer Amy Roberts.
1. Jacket Harris Wharf London, 18,000 rubles. (yoox.com)
2. Andersson Bell women's vest, 13 819 rubles. (net-a-porter.com)
3. Pietro Brunelli women's shirt, 8330 rubles. (TSUM)
4. Skirt N 8, 17,500 rubles. (yoox.com)
5. Tod's bag, 85,050 rubles. (TSUM)
6. Women's boots TBS, 6790 rubles. (Rendez-Vous)
Roberts joined the work on the series in the third season, when the role of Queen Elizabeth II passed from Claire Foy to Olivia Colman, and the image of the British monarch became more adult, stately, calm and democratic. Unlike Michelle Clapton, who stylized the first two seasons of The Crown and was previously known for her majestic and fantasy outfits for Game of Thrones, Amy Roberts has a background in costume dramas (The Virgin Queen, Wuthering Heights), and in projects that take place in the 1950s and 70s and are close to real events ("The Room Upstairs", "Mrs. Biggs"). This allows the costume designer to adhere to historical authenticity without giving up on loose interpretation.
1. Burberry raincoat, 165,000 rubles. (Burberry)
2. Women's cardigan Bruno Manetti, 32 972 rubles. ("Cashmere and Silk")
3. Ganni dress, 16 775 rubles. (farfetch.com)
4. Mercury earrings, price on request (Mercury)
5. Weekend Max Mara clutch, 26 550 rubles. (Weekend Max Mara)
6. Shoes Bottega Veneta, 43 850 rubles. (TSUM)
“We have a lot of graphic references dictated by the era, which are kept in the head all the time, saturating the brain. But sometimes we have to turn away from it, - told Roberts in an interview with Variety. - There are key moments, be it the Queen's trip to Aberfan, a wedding or an anniversary, when many people remember what she was wearing. But I think it's important not to copy these dresses and suits exactly. Peter Morgan (screenwriter and producer of "Crown" - ") said that there is a certain DNA, a balance between the real and the exact, on the one hand, and stylized, on the other. And I think it allows me and my team to use the imagination."
1. Jacket Natalya Derbyshire, 10 650 rubles. (Natalya Derbyshire)
2. Top Giorgio Armani, 49 100 rubles. (TSUM)
3. Skirt Natalya Derbyshire, 5960 rubles. (Natalya Derbyshire)
4. Chanel Pre-owned earrings, 47 366 rubles. (farfetch.com)
5. LK Bennett clutch, £ 60 (lkbennett.com)
6. Baldinini shoes, 20,990 rubles. (No One)
The flight of imagination in the case of creating costumes is also due to technical issues and strict rules. For example, Netflix prohibits the use of new natural fur on the set, so in the third season, material for Prince Charles' cape from ermine was collected from everywhere, and then taken to a special furrier for stretching. “It had to be done right, otherwise the fur would resemble a Santa Claus suit,” commented Amy Roberts.
The difficulty in recreating historical costumes also lies in the fact that previously, most of the images of members of the British royal family were sewn by royal tailors in single copies. Accordingly, it will not work to buy an exact copy of a coat, dress or shoes, as is the case today with Kate Middleton or Megan Markle. Costume designers have to create similar images by eye, only occasionally having the opportunity to use the help of real participants in the events. Although the details of the preparation of Princess Diana's costumes for the fourth season of "The Crown" have not yet been disclosed, it can be assumed that, for example, the pink hat, which appeared in the trailer and hints at the events of 1983, was created in the studio of the author of the original headdress, John Boyd. At least a similar one can be found on the website of the great modist brand.