Developments in the field of high-tech composites for the manufacture of watch cases do not negate the use of base alloys from the elements of the periodic table. The watchmakers turned to bronze, which is not of such high origin as gold or platinum, but nevertheless ages beautifully and nobly, becoming covered with a natural patina. Therefore, bronze objects - not only heavy interior clocks of the 18th century, but also modern wrist models - have a special retro charm. For the first time , Montblanc 's artisans used bronze in the design of three new models with historical details from the original Minerva 1858 chronograph: cloisonne cathedral hands, vintage crown, and aged strap.
Bell & Ross have experimented with bronze in skull watches and are now inspired by nautical instruments. The white enamel dial of their new model is very similar to a vintage marine chronometer. The bronze case of the IWC Aquatimer Edition Expedition Charles Darwin watch is reminiscent of the bronze plating of the Beagle, on which Charles Darwin went on an expedition. And the bronze on Officine Panerai and Oris watches reminds us of the bronze diving suits of the mid-20th century.
1) Montblanc 1858 Automatic Dual Time, Montblanc
2) Montblanc 1858 Chronometer Tachymeter Limited Edition 100, Montblanc
3) Montblanc 1858 Automatic, Montblanc
4) Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Power Reserve Automatic Bronzo, Officine Panerai
5) Aquatimer Chronograph Edition Expedition Charles Darwin, IWC
6) Oris Carl Brashear Limited Edition, Oris
7) BR X1 Skeleton Chronograph, Bell & Ross
8) BR X1 Tourbillon Chronograph, Bell & Ross
9) BR X1 Instrument de Marine, Bell & Ross
10) Pilot Type 20 Extra Special, Zenith
11) UR-105 T-Rex, Urwerk © press service
However, the vintage look isn't the only advantage of bronze. This solid and durable material is resistant to corrosion, and also has low thermal conductivity, and it is simply pleasant to hold it. The only drawback is that bronze oxidizing on the watch case over time leaves greenish stains on the wrist, which can cause allergies. But the watchmakers have taken care of this too: the case back is made of a different material, for example titanium (Montblanc, Zenith), titanium with DLC coating (Urwerk) or stainless steel (Oris).>